Let me start off that I am not a glam girl. I have had one pedicure and manicure in my lifetime. I buy makeup at Wal-mart. My beauty “routine” is foundation and mascara. All other things are based on whether I have time (which is rare). Recently, though, a friend of mine posted a link to an Ipsy bag subscription. I clicked over and the more I read, the more I thought, “This looks like an inexpensive splurge that I can look forward to each month.” For only $10, I get (typically) 4-5 beauty items, a bag, and shipping. This allows me to explore some higher end beauty items without breaking the bank. I love that Ipsy also gives a quiz to find out a person’s beauty profile (hair, skin, and eye color, etc.) and what types of beauty items a person is most interested in. This quiz can be updated each month. In addition, I can review items and have found that my reviews influence the next bag I get.
March was my first month for a beauty bag. Sometimes when signing up, people are put on a waiting list. Since I posted an Ipsy link on Facebook, I ended up not waiting at all.
Here is what I received with each item’s approximate value:
- Destination Beauty Bag: Eh…didn’t love the pattern. I don’t need bags anyway, so I’m never all that concerned with what the bag looks like. It is a plastic (vinyl?) small bag.
- bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie™ Lipstick – Get Ready shade (sample size): The color is darker and more vivid than I would typically go for. I usually just pat it on my lips and get enough color for my preference, then I go over it with lipgloss. It’s a nice purse size. This sample was 1.5g. A full size lipstick sells for $18. The site doesn’t give the size of the full-size lipsticks in grams, but I think it’s safe to say a trial size would be about 1/3 the size of the full-size lipstick. My estimate of value – $4 to 6.00
- NYX Love in Rio Eyeshadow – Bikini Bottom (full size): Colors: Silvery Pink Bronze, Deep Bronze – These are nice safe colors for my style, and they seem to work well. I’d say they’re similar in quality to something I’d pick up at Wal-mart. Value – $6.00
- Chella Eyeliner – Indigo Blue (full size): I’m 38 years old, and blue eyeliner is not something that I’d normally consider wearing. I tried it on and hated it. Later I tried doing a thin line above black eyeliner and it actually looked alright. Not something I would normally wear, but the eyeliner itself is good quality and might be something I’d consider in another color (if the price wasn’t so high). Value – $24.00
- Pixi Flawless Beauty Primer (sample size): This product goes on a bit peachy, but the peach doesn’t show under my foundation. I think it does help even out my skin tone, and it has a slight bit of a glow to it. Just wish it came in a lighter shade. The full size version (30 ml) is $22.00 . My estimate of value – $8.00
Total Estimated Value of Items in the bag: $42.00
I didn’t receive anything in my Ipsy bag that caused me to go on a makeup shopping spree at any of the brands. Had I wanted to buy something, though, Ipsy does provide codes each month for every beauty item they send out that month (even the ones that weren’t chosen for your bag). Although I didn’t fall in love with any of the items, I will use the majority of them. I love that I received $42.00 worth of product for $10 (including shipping). What a fun way to try out new beauty products!
March’s items were:
If you enjoyed this review and want to join Ipsy, please consider using my referral link: http://www.ipsy.com/r/7u3l